Raymond T. Morrin
Raymond T. Morrin

July 22, 1932 - May 2, 2017
Born in Toledo, Ohio
Resided in Eastpointe, MI
  • Contat Us
  • Guestbook
  • Photos
  • Services
  • Send Flowers


Terry (Curly to some of his closest friends) was born to Leona Kennedy Morrin and Charles Felix (Carl) Morrin in Toledo. Ohio. He was the second of 4 boys for his parents. They were surrounded by many relatives in the Toledo area. His family had a deep appreciation for music and both his parents sang locally. His father, Carl was part of the Joseph Murphy Ice House Quartet, from Toledo. Terry must have gotten his voice from his parents and also his love of great singers, especially, Mario Lanza. Through the years Terry sang for family, including singing one of his favorites, the Ave' Maria, at his sister-in-law, Eleanor's wedding. His last "public" performance was a solo of O'Holy Night at a Christmas concert at a church in Sterling Heights.
Terry was sent to Monroe Military Academy for High School. During summer break when he was 17 years old, he met Katherine Mackey in Luna Pier, Michigan. They ran off and got married and that changed the course of their lives. They moved in with Katherine's parents and her brothers and sisters on Dickerson Avenue in Detroit to wait for the birth of their first child, who was born May 18, 1950. Terry went to work at Greater Detroit Landscaping Co. and then Chevrolet Detroit Gear and Axle according to Terry's detailed log books that he kept during most of his life. In October 1951 Terry contracted polio and was hospitalized at Herman Kiefer for 10 days. He was able to return to work a month later and the growing family now included 2 daughters. By the time #3 daughter was due to arrive, Terry and Kathy moved into their first home at 14819 Spring Garden in Detroit with help from Katherine's parents who were also expecting their 7th child. Spring Garden was home for over 30 years.
Katherine and Terry spent 55 years together against all odds. Their love was always evident and carried them through many challenges. None of the least was providing for their 10 children:
Katherine Margaret (married to Richard Fry)
Sheila Marie (divorced from Gerald Witte)
Maureen Annette (married to Christopher Baskel)
Michele Therese (divorced from Edward Hall)
Michael Terrence (died June 20, 2003, married to A. Anna Sinaris)
Carl Thomas (life-partner Carey Richert)
Suzanne Collette (married to David Springer)
Lisa Karen (married to Robert Walker)
Matthew James (died October 16, 1987)
Terrence Shannon (married to Kelly Pitts)

Grandparents to: Marnie, Heather, Andrew, Kevin, Peter, Joshua, Daniel, Christian, Jonathon, Gregory, Shannon, Kyle, Nicolas, and Aaron.
Great Grandparents to: Katherine, Paige, Evan, Christian (Chase), Noel, Alieza, Finley, Mason, Ethan, Logan, Declan, Chloe, Zachary, Branden, Sean, Maisie, Braeden, Alexis, Henrik, Kellan, and Nora.
Terry ended up working for his father-in-law's company, Mutual Industrial Supply Co. and was very close to him until the day he died with Terry by his side at St. John's Hospital in 1960. Terry continued to work for Mutual with his brother-in-law, Thomas (Pat) Mackey until the company was sold to Detroit Brush and renamed R. Industrial Supply Co. He continued to work there for years.
In the early years, Terry sang in the Guardian Angels Catholic Church Choir, took his young daughters to Father and Daughter Breakfasts at the Church, and also served as an usher in the parish. One of his proudest moments was singing "Greensleeves, What Child is This" solo at Midnight Mass. Terry was a member of the Knights of Columbus for decades. He created deep friendships with the Adelsbach family and both families shared many celebration feasts after midnight mass for both Easter and Christmas. Tom Adelsbach and Terry were fast drinking buddies for many years. Rick and Gloria Adelsbach became Godparents for the youngest child, Terrence Shannon, #10, the caboose, who will be celebrating his 50th birthday this year.
The Morrin house was always full of people. Terry and Kathy had many close family friends from early on in their marriage. Just to recall a few: The Martins, Zablocki's, Couples, Prevosts, Stendalls, Wise's and Harwoods, and many whose names escape, added a richness to all the families and provided many fond memories for all. There were also visits to and from the Toledo Morrin's. The 4 brothers would get together in Luna Pier initially, gathering around the grand piano, playing boogie-woogie, singing and carrying on much to the delight of all the cousins at the time, and to the chagrin of their wives and mother. There were many local trips to Belle Isle for day time picnics and nighttime cruises around the fountain as it changed colors.
Terry picked up golf in the early 70's and continued to play until his mid-70's. He took many trips with his golf/drinking buddies and also his brother Pat. He loved the game of football and was part of the First and Ten Football Club. His oldest son, Michael, and son-in-law, Bob Walker, also joined. His golf and football club buddies were an important part of his life. Many were his hard-fast drinking buddies and are life-long friends to this day.
Terry battled alcohol addiction for many years. There were many difficult years and many challenges. Through it all, the goodness at his core came through and sustained the love at the foundation of his family and friends. He was a stoic who was not much good at the day to day aspects of raising a family but always came through and could be counted on for an emergency. There were plenty of those to go around. He rarely ever missed work even when he had to walk miles to or from his job. He had an incredible work ethic with exceptional organizational skills and recall to minute details.
In the 1980's, Terry stopped to assist someone on his way home in a snowstorm. He ended up getting hit by another car and was pinned in between 2 vehicles. His leg injuries were substantial and he was told he would probably never walk. Terry was strong-willed and stubborn. He proved the doctors wrong. After multiple surgeries and a great amount of physical therapy, Terry regained the use of his legs, continued to work and golf for years to come. His inner strength and determination got him through this and would always be evident as life progressed. He survived open-heart surgery and was able to resume full activity including hitting the links.
Terry and Kathy moved out of their house in the 1980's to move to a high-rise apartment on the Detroit River, the Jeffersonian. They lived there for many years and Terry loved to sit on their balcony and watch the river below. From his early days in Luna Pier, to the Jeffersonian, and then eventually to their little home on the canal in Algonac bordering Lake St. Clair, Terry was drawn and comforted by the water. He had no desire to be in it but could sit on his own "dock of the bay" for hours and be at peace. His wife captured this in one of her paintings that conveys the peace he felt.
In 1987, Terry and Kathy endured the tragic loss of their son Matthew, who was killed on the streets of Detroit. In 2003, they lost their oldest son, Michael to brain cancer. Both of these were shattering losses but they endured. On March 18, 2005, Terry's beloved Katherine died from a heart attack rocking the core of the family with her loss. Terry carried on but never truly recovered from the loss of the love of his life.
In 2009 Terry had neck surgery and subsequently suffered a stroke that left his body in pretty poor working condition. Over the next several years there were many health issues. Terry moved with his son Carl and his partner Carey, out to Vassar, Michigan across the street from his daughter Lisa and her husband Bob. He liked to visit at Shelli's (his 4th daughter) on occasion, usually after coming back to the area for doctor's visits. He came for a planned week in August 2015, and never left. He had come "home". After his most recent hospitalization for atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure, Terry begged to go home. At home once again, he was under the constant love and care of primarily, Shelli and Lisa, with help from many others including Camille Desmet (whose house it is), Sheila, and Terry. He announced after being a coffee drinker for at least 70 years that he no longer drank coffee but would love some Hot Cocoa. Eventually, requested "Hot Chocoa" around the clock and alternated with eating Jell-O, with little appetite for much else if he could avoid it. He was surrounded by love of family, two devoted dogs, Alli and Myah, and visited by friends, his children and/or their spouses, nieces and nephews, grand and great grandchildren, and many others. The end of his life was filled with comedy, frustration, struggle, love, and listening to his favorite music.
Raymond Terrence – rest in peace and thank you for all you gave and taught. Your strength, stoicism, gentle wisdom, quick wit, and smart-aleck tongue will be remembered by those who love you. God Bless and Keep You!

Visitation Saturday from 11:00 am until 8:00 pm with a prayer service at 6:30 pm at A.H. Peters Funeral Home, 20705 Mack Ave., at Vernier Rd., Grosse Pointe Woods.

To send flowers or a remembrance gift to the family of Raymond Morrin, please visit our Tribute Store.




A. H. Peters Funeral Home Grosse Pointe Woods
20705 Mack Avenue
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI US 48236
Saturday, May 6, 2017
11:00 AM - 8:00 PM
A. H. Peters Funeral Home Grosse Pointe Woods
20705 Mack Avenue
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI US 48236
Saturday, May 6, 2017
6:30 PM

Family Login