Our Family History
For three generations and nearly a century of service, A. H. Peters Funeral Homes continue to be an integral part of the communities they serve, as well as one of the premier funeral homes in Michigan.
In 1917, Arthur and Alma Peters began operating A. H. Peters Undertaker out of their home on Waterloo Street in Detroit. Ultimately the flourishing business moved to a larger building at 12057 Gratiot in 1931. Over the years, as A. H. Peters continued to grow, the Gratiot location was expanded and a second generation of Peters, sons Alvin and Roy, joined the business.
The Grosse Pointe Woods location opened in 1957, at Mack Avenue and Vernier Road where it has been located for more than 50 years. As suburban Detroit grew, so did A. H. Peters, opening another funeral home on Schoenherr Road in Warren on June 6, 1974.
In 1982 a new generation of the Peters family joined the business as Roy’s son, David, began working with his father. They worked side by side for the next 17 years.
David Peters received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, and his Mortuary Science Degree from Wayne State University in Detroit Michigan.
David recently received the 25 Year License Award from the Michigan Funeral Directors Association. David was raised in the Grosse Pointe area and still resides there, where he participates in a number of civic organizations in the area.
Today, David continues to operate the business, guided by the principles of excellence, understanding and superior customer service established decades ago. A. H. Peters continues to provide the caring services, sympathy and sensitivity that have become the foundation for the business.